Buckeye Trek – October 8 - 11, 2019
Students with an affinity for working in a high-tech, entrepreneurial environment can apply for one of 10 slots for this trek to the Silicon Valley
The Ohio State University College of Engineering is once again hosting Buckeye Trek, an initiative to send some of the best and brightest young students to Silicon Valley to soak up an environment of innovation and entrepreneurship. Organized in partnership with Michael Morell (ISE ’93) and his colleagues at Riviera Partners, this intense 2.5 day experience will bring founders, CEO’s and investors from some of the most innovative technology companies to share with students the excitement and culture of high-tech entrepreneurship. Companies ranging from small start-ups still in the VC phase to established companies will host roundtables with bright young CSE students with an aim to foster a culture of innovation and interest in novel career paths. There will also be lunches and dinner with high profile alumni. The 2019 Trek will include these companies and more: Facebook, Google, Lyft, Microsoft, Clockwise, Applied Materials.
- Expose Ohio State students to innovative and entrepreneurial culture and contacts in the Silicon Valley and Bay Area
- Develop a pipeline for student internships with several companies and establish Ohio State as a source for excellent engineering talent
Who should apply?
- Ohio State students with a demonstrated interest in working for high-tech companies in Silicon Valley and are:
- pursuing a BS in CSE
- have at least a 3.2 GPA
- will graduate in SP20, SU20, AU20 or SP21
- NOTE: This Trek can potentially lead to a 2020 summer internship in the Bay Area.
- Do not apply if you:
- have already committed your summer 2020 to another employer
- are not interested in working in the software industry in the Bay Area
- are unable to be in California from October 8-11
- Engineering Career Services opens Qualtrics survey to collect applications/resumes for Buckeye Trek. Resumes should include GPA, relevant coursework and experience demonstrating an interest in a career at a high-tech company
- Deadline to apply is September 8 at 11:59pm
- Selected candidates will be notified no later than September 18
- Pre-trip meeting to set expectations and meet each other
- Agenda and more detailed company information shared with students
- October 8-11:
- Chosen students (plus faculty/admin) travel to San Francisco
- Note: Although the cost of food, hotel, and flights will be covered, students will be asked to cover the cost of their flights upfront, and will be reimbursed (up to $600.00) post trek.
- Post Trek:
- Clients may contact select students, inviting them to complete an application for summer 2020 internship opportunities
- Students share their experiences on campus via presentations and blog posts to spread the word about entrepreneurial and start-up culture in Bay Area and recruit additional students for subsequent year.
Although only 10 students will be selected to go on the Trek, all students who apply will have their resume included in the resume book that will be given to the Bay Area team.
*Students will meet with Bay Area companies on October 9,10 and part of 11. October 8 and part of 11 are travel dates.