Buckeye Trek – October 9 - 12, 2018
Students with an affinity for working in a high-tech, entrepreneurial environment can apply for one of 10 slots for this trek to the Silicon Valley
The Ohio State University College of Engineering is once again hosting Buckeye Trek, an initiative to send some of the best and brightest young students to Silicon Valley to soak up an environment of innovation and entrepreneurship. Organized in partnership with Michael Morell (ISE ’93) and his colleagues at Riviera Partners, this intense 3-day workshop will bring founders, CEO’s and investors from some of the most innovative technology companies to share with students the excitement and culture of high-tech entrepreneurship. Companies ranging from small start-ups still in the VC phase to established companies will host roundtables with bright young CSE students with an aim to foster a culture of innovation and interest in novel career paths.
- Expose Ohio State students to innovative and entrepreneurial culture and contacts in the Silicon Valley and Bay Area
- Develop a pipeline for student internships with several companies and establish Ohio State as a source for excellent engineering talent
Who should apply?
- Ohio State students with a demonstrated interest in working for high-tech companies in Silicon Valley and are:
- pursuing a BS or MS in CSE
- have at least a 3.2 GPA
- will graduate in SP19, SU19, AU19 or SP20
- NOTE: This Trek can potentially lead to a 2019 summer internship in the Bay Area. Do not apply if you:
- have already committed your summer 2019 to another employer
- are not interested in working in the software industry in the Bay Area
- are unable to be in California from October 9-12
- Engineering Career Services opens Qualtrics survey to collect applications/resumes for Buckeye Trek. Resumes should include GPA, relevant coursework and experience demonstrating an interest in a career at a high-tech company
- Deadline to apply is September 11 at 11:59pm
- Selected candidates will be notified by September 17
- Pre-trip meeting to set expectations and meet each other
- Agenda and client information shared with students
- October 9-12:
- Chosen students (plus faculty/admin) travel to San Francisco
- Note: Although the cost of food, hotel, and flights will be covered, students will be asked to cover the cost of their flights upfront, and will be reimbursed later
- Post Trek:
- Clients may contact select students, inviting them to complete an application for summer 2018 internship opportunities
- Students share their experiences on campus via presentations and blog posts to spread word about entrepreneurial and start-up culture in Bay Area and recruit additional students for subsequent year
Although only 8-10 students will be selected to go on the Trek, all students who apply will have their resume included in the resume book that will be given to the Bay Area team.
*Students will meet with Bay Area companies on October 10, 11 and part of 12. October 9 and 12 are travel dates.