When you register with ECS, you are asked to sign a form agreeing to abide by the following standards. Eligibility for services is based upon compliance with these guidelines for ethical behavior. If you are uncertain about how these guidelines might impact your job search, please ask for clarification.
Ethics: (noun) the principles of conduct governing an individual or a group
Job Search Ethics Checklist:
- I understand that my job search is my responsibility and that the role of ECS is to offer support by providing career guidance and by providing additional links to employers to enhance my opportunities.
- I will present my abilities, qualifications, interests, and availability honestly. I understand that any deliberate misrepresentation of this information is illegal and will disqualify me from ECS services. I understand that any special accommodations needed to perform a job must be made known to the ECS Director and employer prior to job acceptance.
- I will only schedule interviews if I have a genuine interest in the position. Interview cancellations must be made by contacting ECS at least two business days prior to the scheduled interview. Missed interviews result in lost opportunities for other students and they reflect poorly on Ohio State. Two unexcused interview absences will result in ineligibility for on-campus interviewing for up to one year. A third unexcused interview absence will result in termination of services.
- I will no longer pursue other employment opportunities once I have accepted a position, verbally or in writing. I understand that reneging is unprofessional and may be cause for dismissal from ECS.
- I will commit to the terms of employment agreed upon between the employer and me.
- I will report all employment offers and acceptances to ECS for data-gathering purposes, regardless of the source of the position.
Rights & Privacy Act:
Pursuant to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended, you hereby authorize The Ohio State University Engineering Career Services to release the registration/resume information provided by you, as well as other official and unofficial Ohio State information regarding academic progress and status, to any and all prospective employers for the purpose of providing such employers with information concerning your employability. Engineering Career Services takes reasonable and appropriate measures to ensure that the personal information we collect is stored in secure operating environments that are not available to the public. Although we gather user demographics and information to compile statistics or analyze services, this does not personally identify you, nor will it be made available to third parties unrelated to the express purpose of the ECS online job search system, unless required by law.
However, since the Internet is an open system, there is no absolute guarantee the personal information you have entered will not be intercepted by others. Although this possibility is remote, it does exist.
Engineering Career Services is committed to equal employment opportunity for all persons and provides services to our students and employers on a nondiscriminatory basis. We also expect all employers to comply with U.S. and Ohio Employment laws. Please let us know if you require disability-related accommodations for your on-campus interviews.