Information for Employers - COVID-19 (updated 5/1/2020)
Engineering Career Services is available to discuss options for adapting the recruitment strategy given the evolving situation and circumstances related to COVID-19. Thank you for your flexibility, efforts, engagement, and understanding as we continue to innovate and adapt our approach to offering a successful recruitment strategy.
We ask that you communicate openly with current co-op/intern students and new hires regarding any operational changes or changes to their work status. If students have questions about their work status, we will encourage them to contact employers directly for the most up-to-date information.
The health and well-being of our students and employers is our top priority. If you have questions, please email Amy Franklin (email@example.com).
Layoffs, Rescinded Offers, and Delayed Starts
While we recognize that many organizations are still trying to determine the economic impact of COVID-19, we ask that you explore all alternate options prior to laying off current co-op/intern students, rescinding offers, or significantly delaying start dates. Please notify ECS if your organization finds it necessary to layoff students, rescind offers, or significantly delay start dates.
We recommend using a web/video conferencing platform to conduct virtual interviews. Please contact Caitlin Mashhadian (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions regarding adding your virtual interview schedule to Handshake.
Listing your events in Handshake enables you to track RSVPs as students sign up and then you can follow up with them after the event. Be creative when coming up with virtual recruiting events. Consider hosting Q&As, office hours, and employee panels. Create authentic relationships by proactively messaging candidates that fit your qualified criteria using search filters and personalized outreach. This can drive attendees to your virtual events and applicants to your job postings. As always, ECS will help promote events that are added to Handshake.
When posting a job that allows remote workers, we recommend including verbiage indicating this in your job description.
If your organization is considering hosting virtual internships for summer 2020, please review the suggestions listed below (source: What to do about internships in light of the COVID-19 pandemic?). If you have questions, please contact Katy Arenschield (email@example.com).
- Allocate enough time before the start of the virtual internship to select and test the right software for managing work (if students are expected to use new software or information technology, it should be provided free-of-charge).
- Train staff to use the new software/systems.
- It is essential that all tasks and projects be carefully planned and prepared to enable the virtual intern to manage the work effectively. The creation of a written work plan that covers the entirety of the experience is suggested.
- Because the intern will not have the opportunity to have the everyday workplace interactions, the materials, instructions and task descriptions need to be accessible online.
- It is suggested that the supervisor engage the rest of the team in the delivery of the virtual internship experience. By doing this, the intern will have the opportunity to interact with several individuals throughout the course of the experience. Team members need to be committed and available to engage with virtual interns daily (and sometimes multiple times a day).
- Create and deliver a well-balanced virtual experience for your intern that includes the opportunity for the intern to learn about your organization, focus on professional development, and engage in meaningful projects and work that will help to develop their overall ability to become a valuable team member in the future.
2020-2021 Career Fairs
IMPORTANT: As The Ohio State University monitors and responds to the COVID-19 outbreak, we are doing all we can to promote the health and safety of our community. At this time, all 2020-2021 career fairs are planning to be held in person. Events will be moved to virtual if necessary.