Blog posts by Category
by | September 9, 2015
Did you know that Ohio State has a campus-wide career fair that is for all majors and all degree levels? If that’s not clear enough—this includes engineering, so mark your calendar! The 2015 Career & Internship Fair is a three day event, happening next week—on Sept. 15-16 (the two day fair) PLUS Sept. 17 (the on-campus interview day).
Here are some reasons you should consider attending in addition to the Engineering Expo:
- Recognize that there are a LOT of companies attending—198 to be exact. Download the OSU Career Fair Plus app on your phone if you don’t already have it (you will use it for EXPO too!). Go to “Employers”--> ”Filters” and narrow down by major, degree level, etc. to come up with a list of companies to target.
- Know that not as many engineering students will attend this fair as EXPO. This may …
by | August 27, 2015
Welcome back to campus! EXPO and on-campus interviews will be here before we know it, and your job search will be in full swing. To make sure you are geared up for the busy hiring season, take a look at my job search "musts" for the upcoming school year!
- Be prepared—do you have a suit/dress suit/shoes for interviews? How about your LinkedIn Profile—is it up to speed? Are you ready for those interview questions? Be ready to articulate your value!
- Do your research—what do you know about the company besides what is on their main website? (This is one of the biggest complaints I get from employers—"student didn’t know what my company does!")
- Be patient—job searching takes a lot of time with some missteps along the way. Keep at it, and use ECS for help!
- Put yourself in the employer’s shoes—make them feel special—target your …
by | July 30, 2015
If you’ve been checking your email, snail mail, or even your CareerEngine homepage you might’ve seen information about the upcoming ECSC on August 29th and wondered if you should attend. I mean what’s the rush? You still have a whole academic year until you graduate- right? Though there is still time to job search, you might be interested to know that 70% of on campus interviews take place within the Autumn Semester. Recruiting schedules vary by company, but many begin to seek out top career employment talent in the fall. Graduating seniors who attend the ECSC will be prepared with professional success skills from the beginning of the semester.
We all know how busy the year gets after the first few weeks of classes and how quickly you jump from being an exploring candidate to a prospective employee. Getting off to the right start during your last year by attending the ECSC … Read More
by | March 27, 2015
We’ve all seen the page-long job description asking for every qualification imaginable that leaves us to wonder exactly which skills and attributes (out of the 10+ listed) are really going to land us the job.
According to NACE's Job Outlook 2015 survey, when employers were asked which attributes they look for on a candidate's resume, the biggest group of respondents (77.8 percent) chose both "leadership" and "the ability to work in a team structure."
The survey results show that leadership skills can make or break a hiring decision. Figure 2 suggests that when employers are forced to choose between two equally qualified candidates, they will choose the candidate with experience in a leadership position over the other.
With that being said, it’s time to assess when and where you’ve been a leader! Think about projects/labs, volunteer work, and student organizations in which you exercised some type of … Read More
by | January 23, 2015
Have you ever wondered what it’s like to be a R&D Engineer for an automotive company or a Project Engineer in the oil and gas industry? Well, here’s your chance to find out!
The 2015 OSU Engineering Job Shadow Program will allow you to ask questions from the experts and experience the normal day-to-day activities engineers face while working in that specific role.
What are the key benefits from participating in the 2015 Job Shadow Program?
The earlier you start building relationships with people in your field of interest, the better! If you make a good impression during your job shadow events, you’ll likely be kept in mind as a candidate for a current/future opening. In fact, 80% of employers utilized the Job Shadow Program as a recruitment tool for their company in 2014.
Job shadowing also allows you to become aware of trends in the field, witness … Read More