Blog posts by Category
by Amy Thaci | August 25, 2016
Welcome back! I hope you all enjoyed your summer, whether you were doing a summer internship or co-op, travelling, or working to earn some extra cash. We have a very exciting semester ahead here in ECS!
- We are offering a variety of special events like our mock interview week starting August 29th; a lot of workshops on topics such as Building Your Professional Network, Interview Strategies, and more!
- The Engineering Career Success Conference is on Friday, Sept. 16--the deadline to register is Wednesday, August 31!
- Engineering Expo is around the corner, Sept 20th - 21st at the Ohio Union. Please note the new time is from 1-6pm for both days.
- Numerous opportunities to engage with employers and many, many resources to help you get prepared for your job search.
Schedule your job search consultations soon--we are starting to fill up prior to Expo. Here’s to a great fall semester … Read More
by Lauren Verhoff | April 21, 2016
During the month of March, ECS hosted a mock interview competition via InterviewStream. InterviewStream is an online mock interview platform. InterviewStream allows students to do a virtual mock interview from any computer with a webcam and microphone. Engineering students were to choose one of eight mock interview options and complete a mock interview following the S.T.A.R. model for behavioral interviews. Their interviews were then submitted to an ECS advisor for feedback.
The winner for ECS’ Mock Interview Month is…Jack Hsueh. Congratulations!
Get to know more about our mock interview winner and his interview advice.
Jack Hsueh is an Electrical and Computer Engineering Graduate Student graduating in May 2017. He chose Ohio State University because of its depth and broad research. His favorite engineering class at OSU is Advanced RF IC. That class has taught Jack about circuit design of the entire receiver front-end … Read More
by Kaitlin Schafer | November 4, 2015
Getting started on the right foot in your career can make all the difference! Don’t miss your chance to enroll in a professional development course taught by Engineering Career Services staff who will help you understand the process of seeking and gaining employment. ENGR 4910: Tools for Engineering Career Success will provide you with a personalized learning experience where you will have the chance to interact with engineering peers and industry professionals while you gain the skills needed to be successful in your job search.
- Resume, cover letter and job search advice
- Selling your strengths (VIA Character Strengths)
- Technical, case and behavioral interviewing
- Salary negotiation
- Professionalism and workplace etiquette
- Advice from industry professionals
“The course is an eye-opener; I wish I knew what I learned in ENGR 4910 at least 15 months ago. Great class!” –2015 Maymester participant
This class meets every Tuesday during the second session … Read More
by Rachel Kaschner | September 9, 2015
Did you know that Ohio State has a campus-wide career fair that is for all majors and all degree levels? If that’s not clear enough—this includes engineering, so mark your calendar! The 2015 Career & Internship Fair is a three day event, happening next week—on Sept. 15-16 (the two day fair) PLUS Sept. 17 (the on-campus interview day).
Here are some reasons you should consider attending in addition to the Engineering Expo:
- Recognize that there are a LOT of companies attending—198 to be exact. Download the OSU Career Fair Plus app on your phone if you don’t already have it (you will use it for EXPO too!). Go to “Employers”--> ”Filters” and narrow down by major, degree level, etc. to come up with a list of companies to target.
- Know that not as many engineering students will attend this fair as EXPO. This may …
by Amy Thaci | August 27, 2015
Welcome back to campus! EXPO and on-campus interviews will be here before we know it, and your job search will be in full swing. To make sure you are geared up for the busy hiring season, take a look at my job search "musts" for the upcoming school year!
- Be prepared—do you have a suit/dress suit/shoes for interviews? How about your LinkedIn Profile—is it up to speed? Are you ready for those interview questions? Be ready to articulate your value!
- Do your research—what do you know about the company besides what is on their main website? (This is one of the biggest complaints I get from employers—"student didn’t know what my company does!")
- Be patient—job searching takes a lot of time with some missteps along the way. Keep at it, and use ECS for help!
- Put yourself in the employer’s shoes—make them feel special—target your …