Blog posts by Category
Job Search Strategy
by | October 20, 2016
Did you know that last year, ECS created a new section on our website and accompanying resource guides in CareerEngine for diverse student populations? We are committed to providing job search assistance to all of our students and recognize that everyone’s needs are not the same.
There is a unique landing page on the ECS website and guides in the Document Library of CareerEngine for the following groups: international students, LGBTQ students, minorities in engineering, students with disabilities, women in engineering, and veterans. Because each student has a unique background and set of qualifications to offer potential employers, not everyone will have the same path to obtaining employment. We are here to support each and every engineering student through their job search process.
Below are some highlights of the diversity pages:
- Disclosure: Tips for how/when/why to disclose your situation with an employer. For example, we include a disclosure script …
by | October 5, 2016
Do you ever feel like the emails that you send just disappear? The Radicati Group reports that over 205 billion emails per day were sent in the year of 2015. It is estimated that over one-third of the worldwide population will be using email by the end of 2019. Email is a common platform used by most businesses as well as consumers. Why is all of this information interesting to know? It may be challenging to grab a recruiter, company, or individual’s attention with communication through an email.
Wanting to get more replies from recruiters, companies, or classmates? Get to the point. Keep the language simple, but not simplistic. Speak in a positive fashion. Think about your subject line (shrink your subject line message). Ask a question or two.
If you as a student feel that you get bombarded with emails every day, think about a recruiter recruiting at only … Read More
by | September 28, 2016
Have you heard of GoinGlobal? Many students have not! But it’s a fantastic resource that is available to you through CareerEngine. GoinGlobal is the leading provider of both country-specific and USA city-specific career and employment information. The GoinGlobal database features 38 Country Career Guides, 53 City Career Guides for the United States and Canada, corporate profiles and more than 16 million internship and job listings within the USA and around the world. If you fall into one of the two following categories listed below, you need to be using this resource!
You are a U.S. Citizen who wants to work abroad.
If you are interested in working abroad, it’s likely you have a country (or narrowed down list of countries) in mind. It’s also that likely you have the language skills that would be required for communicating in that country.GoinGlobal’s Country Guides would be very … Read More
by | September 1, 2016
Would you like more practice with interviews? Would you like to receive career advice from professionals from various STEM fields? Then Recruiter in Residence is just for you! ECS' Recruiter in Residence Program provides an opportunity to network with employers while receiving career advice, job search guidance, resume tips, and a chance to practice your interviewing skills. Here are the reasons why you should take advantage of Recruiter in Residence this fall:
- Network with employers outside of career fairs. Networking is a great opportunity to build connections with people you may never have thought of connecting with before. Remember, it’s not always about what you know, but who you know!
- Receive career advice from industry professionals. Even though the Internet can provide some career tips or job search hints, receiving such advice and/or tips from working professionals is invaluable.
- Practice makes perfect. By participating in mock interviews, you are …
by | August 25, 2016
Welcome back! I hope you all enjoyed your summer, whether you were doing a summer internship or co-op, travelling, or working to earn some extra cash. We have a very exciting semester ahead here in ECS!
- We are offering a variety of special events like our mock interview week starting August 29th; a lot of workshops on topics such as Building Your Professional Network, Interview Strategies, and more!
- The Engineering Career Success Conference is on Friday, Sept. 16--the deadline to register is Wednesday, August 31!
- Engineering Expo is around the corner, Sept 20th - 21st at the Ohio Union. Please note the new time is from 1-6pm for both days.
- Numerous opportunities to engage with employers and many, many resources to help you get prepared for your job search.
Schedule your job search consultations soon--we are starting to fill up prior to Expo. Here’s to a great fall semester … Read More