Blog posts by Category
Job Search Strategy
by Rachel Kaschner | September 28, 2016
Have you heard of GoinGlobal? Many students have not! But it’s a fantastic resource that is available to you through CareerEngine. GoinGlobal is the leading provider of both country-specific and USA city-specific career and employment information. The GoinGlobal database features 38 Country Career Guides, 53 City Career Guides for the United States and Canada, corporate profiles and more than 16 million internship and job listings within the USA and around the world. If you fall into one of the two following categories listed below, you need to be using this resource!
You are a U.S. Citizen who wants to work abroad.
If you are interested in working abroad, it’s likely you have a country (or narrowed down list of countries) in mind. It’s also that likely you have the language skills that would be required for communicating in that country.GoinGlobal’s Country Guides would be very … Read More
by Danielle Corrigan | September 1, 2016
Would you like more practice with interviews? Would you like to receive career advice from professionals from various STEM fields? Then Recruiter in Residence is just for you! ECS' Recruiter in Residence Program provides an opportunity to network with employers while receiving career advice, job search guidance, resume tips, and a chance to practice your interviewing skills. Here are the reasons why you should take advantage of Recruiter in Residence this fall:
- Network with employers outside of career fairs. Networking is a great opportunity to build connections with people you may never have thought of connecting with before. Remember, it’s not always about what you know, but who you know!
- Receive career advice from industry professionals. Even though the Internet can provide some career tips or job search hints, receiving such advice and/or tips from working professionals is invaluable.
- Practice makes perfect. By participating in mock interviews, you are …
by Amy Thaci | August 25, 2016
Welcome back! I hope you all enjoyed your summer, whether you were doing a summer internship or co-op, travelling, or working to earn some extra cash. We have a very exciting semester ahead here in ECS!
- We are offering a variety of special events like our mock interview week starting August 29th; a lot of workshops on topics such as Building Your Professional Network, Interview Strategies, and more!
- The Engineering Career Success Conference is on Friday, Sept. 16--the deadline to register is Wednesday, August 31!
- Engineering Expo is around the corner, Sept 20th - 21st at the Ohio Union. Please note the new time is from 1-6pm for both days.
- Numerous opportunities to engage with employers and many, many resources to help you get prepared for your job search.
Schedule your job search consultations soon--we are starting to fill up prior to Expo. Here’s to a great fall semester … Read More
by Guest Student | August 17, 2016
Today's ECS Job Blog is brought to you by Mary-Kate Mullinger. Mary-Kate is a Chemical Engineering student graduating this May 2017. She is currently the Kappa Theta Epsilon President.
I know what an exciting time it is to be back on campus. Your last summer internship is over, college friends are coming back to campus for their final first day of school, and the excitement of football season is here in full force! With all of the campus hub-bub, it can be easy to overlook the next step in our lives- starting our first full-time job. It is so important to take advantage of the fall recruiting process in order to set yourself up for success after your walk across the field at the 'Shoe. But how can you best take advantage of the biggest recruitment season for employers?
You can start by attending the Engineering Career Success Conference … Read More
by Katy Arenschield | April 14, 2016
"I don't have a summer internship! Is it too late?" In short: NO. However, with only 4 weeks until summer break. It’s going to take a lot of work and effort to land a summer internship. You’re going to need to really want it. Below are some tips for obtaining a position.
- If you haven’t already done so, register with ECS!! As of this week, there are over 350 engineering internships and co-ops posted on our job board, CareerEngine. If you aren’t registered with us, you won't have access to these OSU engineering specific job postings! Info for registration can be found here.
- Assuming you are registered, start/continue applying! We recommend applying to at least 30 jobs per semester. While it may be a stretch to apply to that many this late in the game, there are certainly jobs out there for which …