Blog posts by Category
Job Search Resources
by Guest Student | December 1, 2016
This week, ECS is featuring Skyler Reimer, a Computer Science and Engineering student graduating in May 2019. In today's blog, he breaks down his tips for success in obtaining an internship at JM Smucker Company as a Solution Development Intern this coming summer. Skyler has had a lot of experience preparing for interviews and in particular, technical interviews. Learn more about Skyler’s preparation for his job search and interviews below. Some of the advice is specific to those interested in the computer science field, but there are broader job search tips for other types of engineering students as well.
I changed majors last fall and was completely lacking in anything related to computer science for my resume. I was looking at spending an extra year in college, so I wanted to take advantage of the time between semesters. Most freshman and sophomore students are in the same boat I was … Read More
by Ashley Taylor | October 27, 2016
If you haven’t gotten a chance to explore our website, you may be missing out on some very helpful tools. In addition to displaying upcoming events, tips for success on the job, and forms to overcome job search challenges—our website offers these hidden gems:
- Hiring Employers: An annual breakdown of reported employment by major. This allows you to select your major and discover companies that have hired Ohio State graduates for co-op/ internships and full-time employment by degree level. Use this tool to research companies and find who hires Ohio State engineering talent.
- Wages and Salaries: Reported co-op/ internship hourly wages and full-time salary data separated by year. Utilize this information as you are comparing offers and determining the market value. Full-time and advanced degree candidates, research the average wage for a candidate with your experience using this calculator to answer the “desired salary” question with an appropriate range.
- Job …
by Katy Arenschield | October 20, 2016
Did you know that last year, ECS created a new section on our website and accompanying resource guides in CareerEngine for diverse student populations? We are committed to providing job search assistance to all of our students and recognize that everyone’s needs are not the same.
There is a unique landing page on the ECS website and guides in the Document Library of CareerEngine for the following groups: international students, LGBTQ students, minorities in engineering, students with disabilities, women in engineering, and veterans. Because each student has a unique background and set of qualifications to offer potential employers, not everyone will have the same path to obtaining employment. We are here to support each and every engineering student through their job search process.
Below are some highlights of the diversity pages:
- Disclosure: Tips for how/when/why to disclose your situation with an employer. For example, we include a disclosure script …
by Rachel Kaschner | September 28, 2016
Have you heard of GoinGlobal? Many students have not! But it’s a fantastic resource that is available to you through CareerEngine. GoinGlobal is the leading provider of both country-specific and USA city-specific career and employment information. The GoinGlobal database features 38 Country Career Guides, 53 City Career Guides for the United States and Canada, corporate profiles and more than 16 million internship and job listings within the USA and around the world. If you fall into one of the two following categories listed below, you need to be using this resource!
You are a U.S. Citizen who wants to work abroad.
If you are interested in working abroad, it’s likely you have a country (or narrowed down list of countries) in mind. It’s also that likely you have the language skills that would be required for communicating in that country.GoinGlobal’s Country Guides would be very … Read More
by Amy Thaci | August 25, 2016
Welcome back! I hope you all enjoyed your summer, whether you were doing a summer internship or co-op, travelling, or working to earn some extra cash. We have a very exciting semester ahead here in ECS!
- We are offering a variety of special events like our mock interview week starting August 29th; a lot of workshops on topics such as Building Your Professional Network, Interview Strategies, and more!
- The Engineering Career Success Conference is on Friday, Sept. 16--the deadline to register is Wednesday, August 31!
- Engineering Expo is around the corner, Sept 20th - 21st at the Ohio Union. Please note the new time is from 1-6pm for both days.
- Numerous opportunities to engage with employers and many, many resources to help you get prepared for your job search.
Schedule your job search consultations soon--we are starting to fill up prior to Expo. Here’s to a great fall semester … Read More