Blog posts by Category
by | November 2, 2016
Are you a first year student eager to get a jump start on your internship/ co-op search? By attending the First Year Gear-Up on December 2nd, 2:30pm – 6:45pm at the Ohio Union you can begin using the benefits of being registered with ECS up to four months earlier than your classmates. The Gear-Up is a free event that gives first year students the chance to complete all registration requirements in one 4-hour event.
How do I register?
You must be registered to attend and registration is free. Detailed instructions will be emailed to qualified first year students on November 2nd. Programming materials and dinner will be provided to those selected to attend and spots are limited.
What will be covered during the Gear-Up?
In addition to an Engineering Co-op and Internship Program (ECIP) overview, you will engage in sessions that cover:
- Resume: get your resume reviewed by …
by | September 14, 2016
Today's posting is written by Ben Heimbach, who is a Chemical Engineering student graduating in December 2017. He has had two internships at Goodyear and attributes much of his success to being career fair ready.
In my time at Ohio State, I have attended two Engineering Expos, one SWE Career Fair, and info sessions for Marathon, General Mills, Nestle, Goodyear and L’Oréal. I have landed interviews with Goodyear, Nestle, General Mills, Campbell’s and Ingevity from the career fair. I have then gone on to land phone interviews, webcam interviews and on-site interviews.
Preparation for the fair begins for me by looking through the company list that ECS puts out. I choose companies to talk to based on a number of factors. I choose 4-5 companies that are within my scope of study that are larger companies that I am interested in. These lines will most likely be longer than the others so I … Read More
by | September 8, 2016
Conferences provide great opportunities to network with professionals and learn best practices in your field. In order to set yourself up for the best experience, aim to do most of your work before you leave home.
Plan out what you want to accomplish at the conference. Consider your personal and professional goals, and how they relate to your reasons for attending. Map out a list of the breakout sessions/presentations you would like to attend. Read through the program to get a sense of what topics seems most interesting and relevant to you. Conferences can be overwhelming with the wide range of activities going on, so you should figure out how your time can be spent the most effectively; be sure to leave some breaks throughout the day.
Review the list of conference attendees to decide which people you'd most like to meet. Consider connecting with them … Read More
by | September 1, 2016
Would you like more practice with interviews? Would you like to receive career advice from professionals from various STEM fields? Then Recruiter in Residence is just for you! ECS' Recruiter in Residence Program provides an opportunity to network with employers while receiving career advice, job search guidance, resume tips, and a chance to practice your interviewing skills. Here are the reasons why you should take advantage of Recruiter in Residence this fall:
- Network with employers outside of career fairs. Networking is a great opportunity to build connections with people you may never have thought of connecting with before. Remember, it’s not always about what you know, but who you know!
- Receive career advice from industry professionals. Even though the Internet can provide some career tips or job search hints, receiving such advice and/or tips from working professionals is invaluable.
- Practice makes perfect. By participating in mock interviews, you are …
by | August 25, 2016
Welcome back! I hope you all enjoyed your summer, whether you were doing a summer internship or co-op, travelling, or working to earn some extra cash. We have a very exciting semester ahead here in ECS!
- We are offering a variety of special events like our mock interview week starting August 29th; a lot of workshops on topics such as Building Your Professional Network, Interview Strategies, and more!
- The Engineering Career Success Conference is on Friday, Sept. 16--the deadline to register is Wednesday, August 31!
- Engineering Expo is around the corner, Sept 20th - 21st at the Ohio Union. Please note the new time is from 1-6pm for both days.
- Numerous opportunities to engage with employers and many, many resources to help you get prepared for your job search.
Schedule your job search consultations soon--we are starting to fill up prior to Expo. Here’s to a great fall semester … Read More