Blog posts by Category
by | September 8, 2016
Conferences provide great opportunities to network with professionals and learn best practices in your field. In order to set yourself up for the best experience, aim to do most of your work before you leave home.
Plan out what you want to accomplish at the conference. Consider your personal and professional goals, and how they relate to your reasons for attending. Map out a list of the breakout sessions/presentations you would like to attend. Read through the program to get a sense of what topics seems most interesting and relevant to you. Conferences can be overwhelming with the wide range of activities going on, so you should figure out how your time can be spent the most effectively; be sure to leave some breaks throughout the day.
Review the list of conference attendees to decide which people you'd most like to meet. Consider connecting with them … Read More
by | September 1, 2016
Would you like more practice with interviews? Would you like to receive career advice from professionals from various STEM fields? Then Recruiter in Residence is just for you! ECS' Recruiter in Residence Program provides an opportunity to network with employers while receiving career advice, job search guidance, resume tips, and a chance to practice your interviewing skills. Here are the reasons why you should take advantage of Recruiter in Residence this fall:
- Network with employers outside of career fairs. Networking is a great opportunity to build connections with people you may never have thought of connecting with before. Remember, it’s not always about what you know, but who you know!
- Receive career advice from industry professionals. Even though the Internet can provide some career tips or job search hints, receiving such advice and/or tips from working professionals is invaluable.
- Practice makes perfect. By participating in mock interviews, you are …
by | August 25, 2016
Welcome back! I hope you all enjoyed your summer, whether you were doing a summer internship or co-op, travelling, or working to earn some extra cash. We have a very exciting semester ahead here in ECS!
- We are offering a variety of special events like our mock interview week starting August 29th; a lot of workshops on topics such as Building Your Professional Network, Interview Strategies, and more!
- The Engineering Career Success Conference is on Friday, Sept. 16--the deadline to register is Wednesday, August 31!
- Engineering Expo is around the corner, Sept 20th - 21st at the Ohio Union. Please note the new time is from 1-6pm for both days.
- Numerous opportunities to engage with employers and many, many resources to help you get prepared for your job search.
Schedule your job search consultations soon--we are starting to fill up prior to Expo. Here’s to a great fall semester … Read More
by | August 17, 2016
Today's ECS Job Blog is brought to you by Mary-Kate Mullinger. Mary-Kate is a Chemical Engineering student graduating this May 2017. She is currently the Kappa Theta Epsilon President.
I know what an exciting time it is to be back on campus. Your last summer internship is over, college friends are coming back to campus for their final first day of school, and the excitement of football season is here in full force! With all of the campus hub-bub, it can be easy to overlook the next step in our lives- starting our first full-time job. It is so important to take advantage of the fall recruiting process in order to set yourself up for success after your walk across the field at the 'Shoe. But how can you best take advantage of the biggest recruitment season for employers?
You can start by attending the Engineering Career Success Conference … Read More
by | January 27, 2016
Are you looking for a chance to meet with top OSU employers and learn more about being an engineer? If so, consider signing up for the 2016 Job Shadow Program! The Job Shadow Program is a one day commitment over Spring Break (March 14-18). You can sign up for more than one shadow if you’d like. Below you’ll find Matt Glasgow’s (ISE student) insight into his job shadow experience during the 2015 program.
Where did you job shadow last year?
I attended a job shadow at LuK USA located in Wooster, Ohio. LuK is a German based company from the parent company Schaeffler, and they make torque converters for cars and trucks.
How was the event structured?
Upon arrival, a few members of the HR Department delivered a presentation that provided an overview of the company. The topics included information about LuK’s history, culture, and customer base. After the presentation … Read More