Increase Your Chances for an Internship
by Ashley Taylor | January 22, 2020
Did you know that 70.4% of employers surveyed by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) have firm or tentative plans to recruit this spring? On top of that, the #1 source for their new hires is through university campus connections and events. With all that said, it’s a “no-brainer” that you should make the most of our events occurring these next couple months starting with Intern Week (January 27th - 31st). There's something for everyone as we help prepare you for the upcoming SWE Career Fair.
ECS will be partnering with Capital One, Cooper Tire & Rubber Company, Cummins, Eaton, Emerson, General Electric, Nationwide, Navy, and Niagara Bottling to bring you a week full of programming with 28 different chances to interact with engineering employer representatives! A few of those events include:
- Workshops: Practice your networking skills and enhance your interviewing strategies before the SWE Fair.
- Lunch & Learns: Brush up on your professional skills—whether you have networking, resume, or career fair questions, these events offer advice you can put into action. Light lunch included. RSVP via Handshake required.
- Labs: Update your resume or LinkedIn profile while receiving coaching from industry pros and ECS staff during these come-and-go, relaxed events.
- International Student Success Panel: Join Cummins as we hear from a panel of international students who have been successful in obtaining internships and full-time employment.
- Intern Networking Night: Join current or former interns representing 20+ employers as they share their experiences and tips for securing an internship/ co-op. This is a casual opportunity to learn more about internship projects and programs from fellow Buckeyes.
Quick Facts from Intern Week 2019:
- Twenty four students received direct feedback from employers during mock interviews. Company representatives asked standard and behavioral questions and offered tailored advice, so students could ace their next interview. This year’s mock interview spots are limited, so sign up today by visiting ECS (199 Hitchcock Hall) or calling (614-292-6651).
- Forty seven students had their resumes reviewed by industry professionals. They were given insight on what the specific company looks for and offered tips to highlight their individual experiences. This year’s drop-in resume reviews have limited availability at a first-come, first-filled basis.
- Multiple internship/ co-op offers were extended as a direct result of Intern Week events.
Your online applications and resume are important, but employer interactions are a great chance to position yourself as more than just another applicant. Sometimes the secret to standing out is showing up. Take a chance—it might just pay off! Log into Handshake to RSVP and view events HERE.
“The expert in anything was once a beginner.” – Unknown