What's New at ECS?
by Alex Austin | January 8, 2019
Engineering Career Services has some exciting changes and additions for 2019!
- Intern Week is a new program primarily targeting first and second year students in their pursuit of an internship or co-op. It is strategically placed the week before the SWE fair and is packed with events.
- SWE Career Fair is on Wednesday, January 30th and will admit BS students within one calendar year of graduation, MS/ PhD students, and recent alum ONLY from 1pm -2pm, while the fair will be open for ALL students from 2pm-6pm. Read more HERE.
- Job Shadow will now take place during Spring Break week and signups will happen virtually via Handshake beginning February. This will allow you to quickly secure your spot to network with employers and get insider knowledge of a specific industry or company.
- Engineers Week celebrates the varied careers within engineering with events during the week of February 18th.
- Walk-in Hours are streamlined and will occur Monday through Friday from 1pm-3pm.
We’ve also unveiled our simple, two-step registration process. While there is no longer a required intake appointment, we are still available to help you with all your career needs. Here’s a reminder of a few of our services:
- Handshake Training – We can show you how to filter through all the jobs to find and apply to specific engineering positions and on-campus interviews with employers. Through Handshake you will also see upcoming employer events and ECS workshops. Connect with other students, learn more about different industries or companies, and make use of our wide array of resources and templates.
- Document and Offer Reviews – Bring in a hard copy of your resume, cover letter, CV, personal statement, or any other professional document. We can help draft emails to employers or walk you through professional conversations. Rather than receiving general advice, meeting with an advisor enables you to obtain personalized feedback to help your documents and interactions stand out.
- Interview Coaching – Ask questions about any stage of the interview process; from researching beforehand, answering interview questions, and following up with recruiters. In addition to general consultations, we provide opportunities to take part in mock interviews. These hour long appointments go through standard and behavioral questions, with feedback time built in so that you receive constructive advice on future interviews.
- Salary Information and Negotiation – Know what your degree and experience is worth by visiting us for salary information and negotiation questions. Advisors will help you find data and determine next steps if you have a strong case to negotiate.
- Networking Opportunities – Career fairs offer lots of opportunities to meet with employers and start building a network of contacts. This is a great way to connect with industry leaders, but it is not the only way. Check out programs like Engineering Job Shadow, Intern Week, and panels to meet with professionals. With events happening both within the ECS office and around campus, talking with advisors will help you discover what you might be missing.
- Interview Rooms – Need a quiet place to conduct a phone or virtual interview? Remove the stress of noisy roommates or other distractions and let ECS help you feel calm about the process by reserving a room. NOTE: Interview room space may be limited during peak on-campus recruitment times.
Stay tuned for additional details during the coming weeks.
“No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” - Aesop