Spotlight on DePuy Synthes: Employer of the Year

Photo of Engineering Career Services staff presenting the award to DePuy Synthes representatives.DePuy Synthes accepting the Employer of the Year Award from Engineering Career Services.

Each year, ECS formally recognizes employers providing our students with outstanding and unique experiences through the student-nominated honor of “Employer of the Year.” A winner is determined based on the student’s written nomination and the company’s recruitment and hiring activities.

The 2018 Employer of the Year goes to DePuy Synthes!

Below are excerpts of the nomination submitted by Biomedical Engineering student Kaleb Cantrell, who completed multiple co-op rotations with the organization.

“At the beginning of my work term, I was assigned an engineer as my mentor. The mentor took me under his wing, and allowed me to join in and assist him on the projects he was working on. This included weekly meetings, walking me through step by step on terminology I did not understand in meetings, and taking the time to make sure I was understanding the principals behind the instruments I was working on. After I became comfortable, he allowed me to take the reins on a few projects and he would pop in daily to check to see if I had questions over them or he came in because I had asked him to review my work. The mentorship he provided truly set the standard on what it means to be an ethical engineer in today's society. I believe after closely working with him, I am one step closer to fully understanding what it truly means to be an engineer.”

“Every Friday, there's a co-op breakfast in the morning which was a lot of fun to get and see each other as we ended the week. Each week a different department of co-ops presented to each other so we could learn about what happens in Tribilogy, or Metallurgy. On top of those activities, every Tuesday night the co-ops went out bowling in Warsaw which was just a fun relaxing way to get to know each other. Once it got warm out, daily walks around campus and basketball games at lunch helped to build our friendship.”

“I have had several jobs since graduating high school, and none of them have been as rewarding and helpful as this one. DePuy Synthes truly encompasses the core of what a co-op is all about: gaining knowledge from professionals in your desired field in order to apply what you've learned in class and gain experience. DePuy has encouraged me to apply what I have learned thus far and challenged me to go beyond that and leave my comfort zone to truly embrace this learning experience. The staff has taken the time to teach me more concepts and practices I did not already know and also taken the time to elaborate on areas where I have a strong footing in thanks to my classes. There has not been a position I have held where I have been treated with more respect by my coworkers, learned more from those around me, or have been able to dive into the biomedical engineering field as DePuy Synthes has allowed me.”

A round of applause for DePuy Synthes! If you had a great experience this summer, we hope you’ll consider nominating your employer for the 2019 Employer of the Year Award!

“Greatness begins beyond your comfort zone.” – Robin S. Sharma

Guest Student