It All Starts With a Handshake
by Katy Arenschield | June 5, 2018
While we know that you probably aren’t thinking about us during your summer break, we have been spending a lot of time thinking about YOU! ECS, along with the other career offices at Ohio State, has been preparing the past several months for the launch of Handshake, our new job search system. As of TODAY (June 5), all students have access to this new platform which we hope you will find intuitive and easy-to-use. Can you tell we’re excited?
Handshake connects you with internships and jobs from thousands of employers. Some perks of handshake include:
- Discover jobs you are truly interested in. Handshake shares job recommendations based on your interest, major, and skills. You can explore collections of jobs just for you. Pro Tip: “Favorite” jobs. Handshake’s smart software will start showing more similar jobs once it learns what you are most interested in.
- Stand out to employers with a strong profile. Similar to LinkedIn, your profile in Handshake is like your online resume. Add your work experiences, skills, interests, and organizations to attract employers and land your next job. Pro Tip: Try to hit 100% on the Profile Completion Bar. The progress bar will hit 100% only when you complete every section on your profile including a short bio, documents, projects, and social links.
- Apply to jobs from anywhere, including your phone. Download the iOS app to discover jobs on the go and keep up with the latest opportunities.
Even if you are not actively job searching, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with Handshake before the hectic fall recruitment begins. Employers have been in the system since May, so there are already hundreds of employers interested in hiring OSU students, along with many job postings. Here are some things we recommend you do before September:
- Complete your profile. As already mentioned, a complete profile is VERY important in Handshake. Not only does it help you stand out to employers, it also drives the types of jobs you will see. For more information about profiles, click HERE.
- Upload your documents.This may be something you do at the end of the summer if you are currently interning, but make sure to update your resume and upload it to the system. You have the option to make your documents visible on your profile, which would allow employers to view and download if they’d like. We recommend making your default resume visible on your profile. You can still use a different version (tailored to the position) when you apply to specific job postings. More information about uploading documents and selecting visibility can be found HERE and HERE.
- Explore companies. It’s never too early to start researching companies and determining target employers for a future search. Handshake has a robust list of companies and you can search by keyword, location, size, and industry. In addition to saved job searches, you can also save company searches!
While Handshake is undoubtedly sleek and intuitive, learning a new system can still be overwhelming. ECS is here all summer (beginning June 11) for appointments, and walk-in hours will begin at the start of fall. Please call or come in to the office with questions you have about Handshake!
“Success is where preparation and opportunity meet.” - Bobby Unser