Spotlight on Jordan Lucki, American Society of Engineering Education's Student Intern of the Year

Photo of Jordan Lucki and Katy Arenschield holding the ASEE Student Intern of the Year Award plaqueJordan Lucki and Katy Arenschield, ECS Co-op and Intern Program Manager

How cool would it be to be recognized as “Intern of the Year” by a national engineering organization? This recognition includes being flown to attend a conference luncheon and reception, being awarded in front of a room full of engineering education professionals and employers, and given a hefty cash prize to top it off. Just ask Jordan Lucki, recent Chemical engineering grad and recipient of the 2018 Intern of the Year Award from the American Society of Engineering Education.

Jordan volunteered as a Career Fair Coach with ECS this past fall, putting him on the radar of ECS’s Co-op and Internship Program Manager, Katy Arenschield.  His commitment to give back to the college and community and his impressive resume made him an obvious choice for nomination for this award.  The nomination packet included a letter of support from both Arenschield and his most recent intern supervisor, and a statement from Lucki himself.

What makes an impressive resume? Well-roundedness! Jordan not only earned a degree in Chemical Engineering, he also received a minor in Integrated Business and Engineering. He says that “College is a time to find passions and opportunities to pursue for the rest of your life. I have been able to find passions for mentoring and giving back to the community at OSU.”  Perhaps his most impressive accomplishment was founding a new student organization called “MoneyThink.”   This organization teaches basic financial literacy skills and provides support for post-high school education to students in the Greater Columbus area.  In the three years since its inception it has grown exponentially and now partners with three high schools, has 43 mentors, and a total of 176 mentees.

As we all know, co-ops and internships are optional at Ohio State, but ALL students should complete some sort of experiential learning activities before graduation.  Jordan completed FIVE internships during his time in college.  “I have been fortunate enough to work for a variety of companies, in a wide variety of industries and positions.  From the consumer products industry, to the energy industry, to the healthcare industry, from manufacturing, to research and development, to technology, I have had many opportunities to discover my passions.  And from my most recent experience, I believe I have determined the best area for me to combine my passion, knowledge, and talents to drive success for myself, my employer, and my community.”

It was for his time last summer as a Technology Analyst at DaVita Medical Group that Jordan was nominated for this award.  In this role, he worked on applications of machine learning and artificial intelligence to increase primary care efficiency and meet population health management needs. He was able to develop three different applications to decrease hospitalizations and increase disease prediction.  He has since accepted and begun a full time career with Accenture, working as a Technology Consulting Analyst.

What did this award mean to him? He says, “I am very excited about winning this award because it validates much of the hard work I put in throughout my college career.  All of my different internship experiences have shaped my learning interests and career goals, and my last internship with DaVita Medical Group is a great mix of the technology and healthcare industries where I hope to focus my full-time career.”

What does this mean to you, as a current student reading this blog? Find your passion! How do you do this? Get involved on and off campus, and take advantage of any opportunity you have to get experience in the field – this not only hones your skills, but it helps you determine what you want to do and where you want to do it. And oh yeah – it strengthens your resume! Who knows, maybe you will be the next ASSE Intern of the Year Award winner!

“If you don’t love what you do, you won’t do it with much conviction or passion.” – Mia Hamm

Katy Arenschield

Katy Arenschield is the Engineering Co-op and Internship Program Manager.