Spotlight on The J.M. Smucker Company: Winner of the 2017 ECS Employer of the Year Award

Photo of the 2017 award recipients, J.M. Smucker Company, and student nominator.Left to right: Alison Walasinski, Student Intern/ Nominator; Rachel Pond, University Relations Manager; Emma Rohe, University Relations Coordinator; Chris Mickowski, Engineer; and Amy Thaci, Director of Engineering Career Services

So many amazing companies come through our office every day. Four years ago, ECS decided to formally recognize those employers who were providing our students with outstanding and unique experiences with our first ever “Employer of the Year Award.” That year, we chose our winners. But something was missing. We felt that students themselves should have a hand in determining the cream of the crop when it comes to top intern and co-op experiences. Thus, the award became a student-nominated honor.

We now ask students to nominate their current (or previous) employer for this award. Once we receive all of the nominations, we review them and look at each company’s activity with recruiting and hiring our students over the past 12 months. Based on the nomination content and their engagement with ECS/OSU, our winner is determined. This year there were 16 nominees, and all were invited to be recognized at our annual Employer Appreciation Brunch in July. The 2017 Employer of the Year was announced, and the award went to The J.M. Smucker Company.

Below are excerpts of the nomination submitted by Chemical Engineering student Alison Walasinski, who completed multiple co-op rotations with the organization.

“There was a huge “kickoff” event where the CEO, Mark Smucker, came and spoke to us about his journey through the company, his experiences, and just showing how much he supported each and every one of us.”

“Smucker’s provided a variety of technical and leadership courses. Seeing that they offer these opportunities to their employees of all levels was great as it showed me that they believe in and support the continued growth and support of their staff.”

“This company creates an incredible work space that is both inclusive to all ideas and backgrounds as well as encouraging and supportive to each and every one of their employees.”

“This experience was huge in both personal and professional growth for me. I was given so much responsibility with the incredible, high priority projects that allowed me to save the company tons of money. By being given this responsibility and watching myself accomplish my goals, I was able to start to believe I was on the right path. I loved my experience and it truly helped me to confirm that I was doing what I was meant to do.”

A round of applause for The J.M. Smucker Company! If you are interested in working for them, make sure to visit their booth at the Engineering Expo in September and apply to their current position(s) on CareerEngine. As a reminder: all former intern/co-op experience evaluations are housed on the computer in the ECS lobby, grouped by company. We encourage you to check these out if you want to learn more about what to expect working for a particular organization. If you had a great experience this summer, nominate your employer for the 2018 Employer of the Year Award!

“For individuals, character is destiny.  For organizations, culture is destiny.” - Tony Hsieh, Developing Happiness

Katy Arenschield

Katy Arenschield is the Engineering Co-op and Internship Program Manager.