International Student Success Stories, featuring Md Fahad

Today's blog features an OSU international engineering student who has been successful in their job search.  Md Fahad is a 2017 BS Mechanical Engineering student. His most recent internship was at Meritor Automotive.  
  Md Fahad at Meritor AutomotiveMd Fahad at Meritor Automotive

Tell us about your role at your most recent position:  

In summer 2016, I worked as a Manufacturing Engineering Intern at Meritor Automotive in Asheville, North Carolina. Meritor is a Fortune 500 company which manufactures gears, axles and brake components for Volvo, Diamler. My main responsibility was to solve the gear noise issue using the six sigma process and to collaborate with gearing, CNC engineers, and materials engineers on this project. I also designed fixtures for the CMM machine using AutoCAD.

What resources did you use during your internship/job search? 

Engineering Career Services (ECS) helped me a lot throughout my internship search. The ECS advisors reviewed my resume several times and provided constructive feedback on how to best sell my experience and skill set. LinkedIn was the another tool that I used to connect to employers from different industries; I often use LinkedIn now to network. In addition, I attended several employer information sessions and networking events before the engineering career fairs that were organized by the ECS office.

What core skills or qualities do you think employers find most useful?

The most important skills that employers look for are communication and leadership qualities. The ability to communicate your ideas to your peers/team throughout projects or assignments is very important when working as an intern. During my internship at Meritor, I remember my supervisor explaining that they seek candidates who attend reputable colleges and can work well in a team environment.

What would you tell your peers they need to do to find a great internship or full-time position?

I would suggest attending the workshops organized by ECS that teach networking techniques and how to develop interview skills. Connecting with employers on LinkedIn, attending networking events or asking your supervisor (if you work in a lab) to connect you with employers which can help you in landing up an internship or full-time position. Scheduling a mock interview with ECS is another great resource that will help you master your interview skills for the internship/full time job search.

"Do not wait; the time will never be 'just right.' Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along."
-George Herbert

Guest Student