Top 10 Reasons to Sign Up for Job Shadow
by Rachel Kaschner | February 2, 2017
Have you heard of the Ohio State Engineering Job Shadow Program? Are you debating it, but not sure you want to spend your spring break doing “professional stuff?” Let me try to convince you that job shadow is totally worth your time—plus each job shadow event is only ONE day, so it’s not like you have to spend your whole break being productive.
- Unlike almost every other job search related event, YOU choose companies you interact with rather than waiting for them to select you.
- You’ll be doing something useful over Spring Break that will further your career.
- In ONE day, you can find out if you like a particular industry/company/job type…much quicker than deciding during a full summer internship or co-op.
- Your interest could be sparked in an area of study or industry that you previously didn’t know about or think you would like.
- You will get to see what a particular company culture is like.
- You’ll meet contacts that do engineering hiring.
- You’ll hear firsthand from employers what they are looking for in potential employees.
- You’ll get free lunch!
- You’ll learn things about engineering that you won’t learn in a classroom.
- And most importantly, you could land a job! 8/10 of 2016’s employers used Job Shadow as a recruiting tool for their company.
So mark your calendars now! Job Shadow sign-ups begin Monday, February 6th and run through Friday, February 17th. ECS will be signing students up daily from 9am-4pm. Learn more about signing up by visiting the Job Shadow section of our website.
"Know your priorities and identify the five powerful action steps that you intend to take to move your initiatives forward each day. If you go to a tree with an ax and take five whacks at the tree every day, it doesn't matter if it's an oak or a redwood; eventually, the tree has to fall down."