Be There or Be Square—First Year Gear-Up
by Ashley Taylor | November 2, 2016
Are you a first year student eager to get a jump start on your internship/ co-op search? By attending the First Year Gear-Up on December 2nd, 2:30pm – 6:45pm at the Ohio Union you can begin using the benefits of being registered with ECS up to four months earlier than your classmates. The Gear-Up is a free event that gives first year students the chance to complete all registration requirements in one 4-hour event.
How do I register?
You must be registered to attend and registration is free. Detailed instructions will be emailed to qualified first year students on November 2nd. Programming materials and dinner will be provided to those selected to attend and spots are limited.
What will be covered during the Gear-Up?
In addition to an Engineering Co-op and Internship Program (ECIP) overview, you will engage in sessions that cover:
- Resume: get your resume reviewed by an ECS Advisor
- Interview: engage in speed interviewing and learn ways to communicate your skills and experiences effectively
- Co-op/ internship search: create a targeted search and understand effective job search strategies
- Peer advice: receive expert advice from peer leaders who have successfully completed internships and co-ops
What did last year’s participants have to say about the event?
- “The Gear-Up was a good experience, and I would recommend it to future incoming freshmen.”
- “Everyone who ran the Gear-Up was really helpful and nice, and the information provided during the sessions was very helpful.”
- “I liked getting direct feedback on my resume.”
- “The interviewing session was very helpful because I struggle with how to answer many of the difficult interview questions.”
- “Hearing from upperclassmen was very interesting and insightful.”
SPECIAL THANKS TO OUR EVENT SPONSOR, GE!
“Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win.”