Hidden Gems on the ECS Website
by Ashley Taylor | October 27, 2016
If you haven’t gotten a chance to explore our website, you may be missing out on some very helpful tools. In addition to displaying upcoming events, tips for success on the job, and forms to overcome job search challenges—our website offers these hidden gems:
- Hiring Employers: An annual breakdown of reported employment by major. This allows you to select your major and discover companies that have hired Ohio State graduates for co-op/ internships and full-time employment by degree level. Use this tool to research companies and find who hires Ohio State engineering talent.
- Wages and Salaries: Reported co-op/ internship hourly wages and full-time salary data separated by year. Utilize this information as you are comparing offers and determining the market value. Full-time and advanced degree candidates, research the average wage for a candidate with your experience using this calculator to answer the “desired salary” question with an appropriate range.
- Job Blog: ECS Advisors, employers, and students post short pieces about many facets of the job search (like the one you are reading right now). The page’s right-hand side separates entries by topic, making it quicker and easier to access relevant information. Advice and a sample script for salary negotiation, what to look for in your internship/ co-op offer letter, and tips for success in technical interviews are just a few of the subjects covered!
- Alumni Success Stories: Ohio State engineering alumni share their professional experiences and offer tips for success. These profiles can be found on the ECS website’s homepage and are categorized by major field of study. Reference these success stories to explore possible career paths and gain a larger understanding of the possibilities that lay beyond graduation.
- Contests/ Awards: ECS loves to hear about your positive experiences with employers during your co-op/ internship experiences. Check out this tab to nominate your co-op/ internship or employer for our contests and awards so that we can share your great experience with others!
“Using all of your resources wisely is key for growth which opens up success. Unfortunately, most don’t realize this, and the door of opportunity stays closed.” –Lincoln Patz