Why Should I Job Shadow?

Have you ever wondered what it’s like to be a R&D Engineer for an automotive company or a Project Engineer in the oil and gas industry? Well, here’s your chance to find out!

The 2015 OSU Engineering Job Shadow Program will allow you to ask questions from the experts and experience the normal day-to-day activities engineers face while working in that specific role.

What are the key benefits from participating in the 2015 Job Shadow Program?

NETWORKING:

The earlier you start building relationships with people in your field of interest, the better! If you make a good impression during your job shadow events, you’ll likely be kept in mind as a candidate for a current/future opening. In fact, 80% of employers utilized the Job Shadow Program as a recruitment tool for their company in 2014.

LEARNING:

Job shadowing also allows you to become aware of trends in the field, witness diverse technologies in action and build interviewing skills! You will get an inside look at a company’s culture and find out what a specific career path has to offer.

CONNECTING:

See how your skills, courses, and academic planning can connect to a future role in industry. Students have also selected electives based on their job shadow experience!

Is job shadowing really worth my time over Spring Break?

Yes!! Keep in mind that the Job Shadow Program is only a ONE DAY commitment. 95% of last year's job shadow participants said they would participate again this year! Check out what a few job shadow participants said after the 2014 program:

“The Job Shadow program was unexpectedly fun. I got to see what I may possibly be doing in a couple years as a career and loved everything about it.”

“It is a wonderful chance to network, learn more about the industry, and spend a fruitful day with real engineers as part of the long spring break. I would recommend it to all students as it can only benefit them.”

“It (job shadow) is one of the best programs that ECS offers, and I am thankful for the experience.”

How can I sign up for the 2015 Job Shadow Program?

STEP 1-->APPLY: Identify job shadow opportunities within your CareerEngine account from Thursday, January 29-Thursday, February 12 by keyword searching “job shadow” in the “Jobs” tab.  Apply to all opportunities you are interested in.  NOTE:  Applying does NOT guarantee your spot!

STEP 2-->SECURE YOUR SPOT(S): Visit ECS from 9AM-4PM anytime between Thursday, January 29 and Thursday, February 12 to meet with an ECS advisor.  You will lock down your opportunity, receive full company job shadow details, and sign the participant liability form.  

Visit the ECS site to learn more information about the 2015 Job Shadow Program and to view the full list of this year's companies!

"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn."
-Benjamin Franklin

Kaitlin Schafer

Kaitlin Schafer is a Career Counselor at Engineering Career Services.