International Student Success Stories, featuring Nihar Phalak

Today's blog features an OSU international engineering student who has been successful in their job search.  Nihar Phalak is a 2013 PhD Chemical Engineering graduate who now works as a Research Engineer at Shell International Exploration & Production, Inc. 

Tell us about your role at your most recent position.
I currently work in the Oil Conversion R&D group based in the Shell Technology Center in Houston, TX. My job is to identify differentiating technology options for upgrading and refining disadvantaged hydrocarbon resources including heavy oil, bitumen, etc. that are aligned with future markets and regulations. In this role, I am expected to plan and guide experimental programs, analyze data, document results, and recommend intellectual property action when appropriate.

What resources did you use during your internship/job search?
I started attending the ECS workshops well before the recruiting season and found them to be very useful, especially the ones on "Career Fair Success" and "Using Linkedin for Your Job Search." I also consulted the a staff at ECS for resume review, and I think the feedback was very helpful. Finally, I thought the career fair was very well conducted which provided me a great opportunity to meet several prospective employers. The ECS online application website (CareerEngine) was my primary job search tool. However, I also applied online on websites of several companies that did not recruit at OSU through ECS.

What core skills or qualities do you think employers find most useful?
Besides technical knowledge/expertise, I believe employers look for good communication skills, presentation skills, ability to work in teams (very important!), and anything which indicates strong leadership attributes.

“The greatest achievement of the human spirit is to live up to one's opportunities and make the most of one's resources.”
-Marquis de Vauvenargues

Guest Student