Recruiters' feedback on OSU engineering students' interviewing skills
by Effie Patitsas | March 15, 2012
When recruiters come on campus to interview, we ask them to give us feedback on individual candidates and on our students in general. We then email students with individual feedback. I wanted to share some general comments with you.
We ask, “How can our students improve their interview skills?”
Answers from our employers:
- Prepare for behavioral questions that are in the ECS Student Handbook.
- Fairly pleased with the interviewing skills.
- Research the companies you are interviewing with and develop a career path.
- Their skills are very good compared to what I’ve experienced.
- Try not to use the same example for the multitude of questions asked.
- Be more excited, get involved, and improve resumes!
- Have solid, prepared questions.
- Bring materials with you – resumes, examples of work, etc…
- Familiarity with STAR interviewing. Be able to describe your individual role in a project (not just “we”).
- Make answers more relevant to field, job or company.
If you see yourself in these comments, or would like assistance with your interviewing skills start out by checking out InterviewStream on the homepage of your job search account (located in the right-hand column). You can do a practice interview at any time with a webcam and we will send our feedback to you. You can also watch short videos that include expert tips and how to answer certain questions.
After you’ve done that, if you would still like help, call us at 614-292-6651to schedule a mock interview.
“So many people out there have no idea what they want to do for a living, but they think that by going on job interviews they’ll magically figure it out. If you’re not sure, that message comes out loud and clear in the interview.”