Going Global Guide - for both your International AND Domestic Job Search
February 24, 2012
ECS has recently added Going Global as a new job search resource for students. For those who have considered working abroad and are unsure of where to start, Going Global is a fantastic resource for information about individual countries. Those looking to move to a larger U.S. city will also find practical information that may help with the decision-making process. Lastly, Going Global helps international students identify US employers and actual job postings that are open on work authorization.
Here are some specific features Going Global offers that you can utilize for your individual search:
- Country Career Guides: This link provides a list of countries for you to select from. Each Country’s link provides Job Search Resources (including a Job Search Overview, Online Job Sites, and Newspapers that Publish Job Advertisements), Industry and Employment Trends (featuring a specific link for Engineering), Top Companies, Financial Considerations, Work Permits and Visas, and even Resume, Interviewing, and Cultural Advice unique to that country.
- USA/Canada City Career Guides: By clicking on one of the many large U.S. cities in this list, you’ll have access to similar information from the Country Career Guide, and also a City Overview, information on the Cost of Living, and Professional and Social Networking Groups (which can be a way to begin meeting people in a new city).
- Job Postings and Internship Listings: Search for job openings and internship opportunities in countries around the world. Listings are updated daily!
- H-1B Info: H1B employer petitions from the US Department of Labor can be viewed by location in the USA/Canada City Career Guide collection. This can help you identify companies that have sponsored international students in the past, and possibly, be able to do so in the future. The H1B Plus database allows for additional searches by job title, occupation, employer, wage and other fields. (Special subscription required)
- Key Employer Directory: Access more than 400,000+ country-specific company profiles in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, consumer goods, consulting services, finance and technology. If you utilize this, switch to “Browse by USA State” or “Browse by Country” (see links at the top, instead of “Profile Search”.
To access Going Global, log-in to your ECS Job Search account. On the right-hand side of the “Home” page, go to the “Shortcuts” section and click on the “Going Global Career Guide”.
"National borders aren't even speed bumps on the information superhighway."
Authored by Jena Pugh.