Interview Tips from BP Recruiting
January 26, 2011
Today's blog features interview tips from the recruiters at BP America, Inc.
Your interviews should be a two-way process. We will want to find out about you, your skills and abilities, and we would expect you to learn more about us too. Here are a few reminders to help you prepare:
• Do your research: look at our website, brochures and any recent media articles. And if we visit your campus, come and talk to us.
• Be clear on your motivation for wanting to join our company and be ready to explain what role interests you and why.
• Remind yourself of your application. We will talk to you in depth about your academic and technical background as well as some of the other things on your application form.
• In particular, you should think about particularly significant achievements in your life - either in the academic world or outside - and be prepared to talk about these in depth.
• Familiarize yourself with the skills you will need to be successful in our company and think through which significant achievement best demonstrates these.
• Help your interviewer by answering questions clearly and succinctly; give concrete examples, describe exactly what role you played and what you did yourself; it is easy to slip into talking generally and not do justice to your own contribution.
• In the technical interview, don't be afraid to stop and think before giving your response - the interviewers will expect this.
• We will want to hear about your passion for your chosen field as well as your successes to date. However we may also want to hear about times when life hasn't always gone according to plan, and how you dealt with problems or challenges.
• Be ready with your own questions too. You will have time to meet experienced employees for an opportunity to ask about life at our company.
• Try to be yourself. We value people who can listen and learn as well as use their own skills and abilities to deliver excellent results.
• Finally, we will do our best to make you feel welcome; we hope you will enjoy your day and that it will help you to decide whether our company is the right place for you.
Best wishes for success with all of your interviews!
"Don't waste time learning the "tricks of the trade." Instead, learn the trade."
-Attributed to both James Charlton and H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
Authored by an ECS guest.