Should you apply for EVERYTHING?

Should you apply for everything?
At one time or another, you may have thought about applying for every job you see, whether you're qualified for it or not. You might be thinking to yourself, "the more jobs I apply for, the more opportunities and chances I have, right? Maybe I'll get lucky."

You're wrong, however. A hastily or randomly sent application says to an employer, "I don't care what the job is, I just want a paycheck. One job is the same as any other to me."

This approach to your job search is a waste of your time and energy. It's depressing, too! After applying for dozens and dozens of jobs [and hearing nothing but rejections] it's easy to become discouraged. It's time to change your strategy! Instead, you should use your time productively to research industries, companies, and jobs. The best, most productive job search efforts are those that are focused on identifying the kind of employers who closely fit your interests and skills and developing a personalized approach.

A special note for international students: an employer willing to hire F-1s won't hire you just because you're an F-1 student; they are simply seeking the very best candidate for the job, even if that person needs sponsorship.

In sum, to convince employers that it's worth their time to interview you, you must be focused, know where you can add the most value, and be able to articulate precisely how you fit the majority of the stated requirements. Don't spam employers - be strategic in your search. If you're not sure how to do that, make an appointment with an ECS advisor.

"Whenever it is possible, a person should choose some occupation which they should do even if they did not need the money."
-William Lyon Phelps

Authored by Kathy Weaver.