You are here

International Student FAQs

Below are two commonly asked questions that international students seeking employment in the U.S. have for ECS staff...

"There aren't many on-campus interview jobs that include F-1 students in my ECS job search account. Why aren't there a lot of U.S. employers who would hire me?"

  1. If an employer has hired an F-1 Visa student in the past, it doesn't mean they will always hire international students. Sometimes U.S. employers will hire international students because they have need for a specialized skill set and you have the unique skills. Employers must be able to show that they sought to hire a citizen or permanent resident but were not able to find an equivalently qualified candidate.

  2. That employer must sponsor you for an H-1B. If the employer wants you to work beyond the initial 12 months of work authorization granted with your OPT (Optional Practical Training), the typical cost of sponsorship to an employer is $2,000-3,000, and there is no guarantee that the petition will be accepted.

  3. Last year (2008-2009) the volume of H-1B requests was down 50%, which is an indicator of extremely slow hiring overall.

"Why doesn't ECS publish a list of F-1 employers?"

  1. ECS doesn't publish a "list of employers who hire F-1 students," because there is no such finite list. Any list is an ever-changing one that is specific to a particular need and candidate.

  2. There are a number of U.S. employers who have hired F-1 students - but not because of the students' visa status. These students were hired because they had specific skills [derived from academics or work experience] that the employer needed.

"There is no education like adversity."

Authored by Kathy Weaver.