Making an Effort

“Ninety percent of success is showing up.”

One of my more successful family members shares this philosophy with us regularly. The older I get, the more life experiences I have, the more this seems to be true.

Working here at Career Services I have learned that “showing up” is crucial to job search success. First and foremost, if you are lucky enough to get an on-campus interview, show up. If you have to walk two miles uphill in the snow, show up. If you are not going to show up, don’t sign up.

Show up for information sessions of companies that are interesting to you, even if you are not looking for a job. Learn about the company, what they do and what the culture is like from someone who works there all from the comfort of your own campus.

Show up for a resume review. If you are a senior and have not had your resume looked at in three years, chances are high that it can be improved. Spell check is great, but not completely foolproof. If you are just beginning, put as much as possible on your resume then discuss with an advisor what can be strategically eliminated.

Show up for practice interviews and interview workshops. It isn’t just what you know, but how you present yourself. Stumbling over answers does not make a good impression. Be able to answer with confidence.

If you show up you will be more likely to show off that offer you really want.

"I'm a great believer in luck and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it."

-Thomas Jefferson

Categories: Miscellaneous

Effie Patitsas

Effie Patitsas is the Engineering Career Services Office Manager.