Career Fair Prep
by Rachel Kaschner | October 2, 2008
There’s only one week left before Engineering EXPO…it’s go time! A lot of students have been asking me, “How do I best prepare for the career fair?” Well, there are some things you could be doing to put your best foot forward…
- Make sure your resume is up-to-date, error free, and formatted properly. Check out guidelines for formatting in the Document Library section of your CareerEngine homepage.
- Spend some time on the EXPO web site and see who is coming for your major. Decide which companies you are most interested in. Familiarize yourself with the company’s profile and get acquainted their web sites.
- Apply to companies of interest in advance! Go to your job search account and apply if there are postings…if there aren’t, go to the company’s site and view the “careers” section to apply for openings.
- Also print out the number of resumes that you will need for the number of companies that you are interested in…plus five. You never know who is going to catch your eye at the career fair.
- Get your clothes ready. Make sure that your business attire is pressed and clean for EXPO. Appearance does matter! Not sure what to wear? Check out the "Attire" category on the ECS Blog!
- Plan your 30 second introductory pitch. When approaching a company representative, give your name, major, and grad date. You'll also want to let an employer know what you are looking for ...a co-op, internship, or career. Lastly, you should include a statement of interest in the company, industry, products, and/or career opportunities
Programs (which double as your admissions ticket) will go on sale at ECS this Monday (October 6th). The programs have a grid showing who hires what major for what job and a floor map so you can plan where to go.
Stay tuned for next week’s follow-up blog titled “Working a Career Fair.”
"Talent alone won't make you a success. Neither will being in the right place at the right time, unless you are ready. The most important question is: 'Are your ready?'"